A selection of news items from the High Street
- The number of visitors to UK High Streets in December rose for the first time in 5 years.
- This represented nearly a 1% growth on December 2015.
- According to Springboard, this growth WAS IN SPITE of reduced footfall in Shopping Centres and Retail Parks.
- The total figure came out at an overall decrease of 0.2% on 2015.
- The total number of people visiting shops in December 2015 was down 2.2% on 2015.
- The December groceries basket grew slightly in December but was still 3% cheaper than in 2015.
- 2016 was a record year for UK car sales and the fifth consecutive year of growth.
- But…..2017 sales are expected to fall by 6%.
- This is against inflation fears and the fact that 80% of cars are bought on credit.
- The total industry is now worth a staggering £71.6bn with cars making up 12% of total UK exports