The MIA recently attended a local Employment Law meeting and thought you might like to see the notes we took, hopefully one or two may be of use to you……
General Employment Law
- Remember that there are 5 criteria under which you can remove an individual from your company:
- Conduct + Capability + Redundancy + Statutory Ban + Other Substantial Reason
- If you have a Probationary Period for all new staff, make sure reference is made in the Terms & Conditions to “Suitability”, this is important!
- 18% of the UK workforce is in a “hazy” area in relation to being somewhere between self-employed and employed
- A recent case took place of a self-employed person being found to be entitled to holiday pay as per an employed individual
- The case decided that they were entitled to 11 years back holiday pay!!
- Are conduct in relation to drink AND drugs in your Terms & Conditions?
- And language and dress code?
- And guidelines on personal mobile phone use?
- And guidelines on personal social media use?
- After Parental leave….get ready for laws on Grandparental leave!
Health & Safety
- Proactive Health & Safety checking/visits are being increased
- Individuals AS WELL as companies can now be prosecute
- Fines are based on turnover, not profits
- Do you have a written H & S Statement?
- A file with accident reports and H & S risk assessments?
- Do you have a suitable H & S nominated individual?
As always, (MIA Members), please use the FREE Croner Business Help-lines if you need for information on any of this.
If you’d like some more information on becoming a member, please don’t hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org