The biggest guitar talent search of 2018 begins right now!
MusicRadar, Guitarist, Total Guitar and Guitar Techniques have begun the search to find the 2018 Guitarist of the Year , Young Guitarist of the Year and Acoustic Guitarist of the Year .
The long-running competition returns for 2018, shining a light on the world’s greatest amateur guitarists and giving talented players the opportunity to show off their skills to a panel of star judges.
Past Guitarist of the Year winners include Guthrie Govan (The Aristocrats, Steven Wilson, Hans Zimmer) and Dave Kilminster (David Gilmour, Steven Wilson). This year’s competition could uncover the guitar heroes of the future.
Finalists will be selected by a panel of star judges and industry experts, with the finals taking place live on stage at the UK Guitar Show in London on 29 September; tieing in perfectly with World Guitar Day 2018! In addition to the prestigious title, winners will walk away with an exclusive prize haul from the biggest names in guitar.
Confirmed Guitarist of the Year judges include Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, Mark Tremonti, Jon Gomm, Tommy Emmanuel, Mike Dawes, Chris Buck and Rob Chapman.
Entering the competition is easy: guitarists need to upload a video of their playing to YouTube and send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Guitarist’, ‘Young Guitarist’ or ‘Acoustic Guitarist’, depending on which category they want to enter.
The Guitarist of the Year team and judges also want to know about the person behind the playing; entrants should explain what drew them to the guitar, which styles they favour, the gear they use, and anything else that could make them stand out.
What the judges are looking for:
● They need to see entrants play! No promo-style band videos
● Keep it tight. Get to the point fast. Guitarist of the Year judges are begging to be impressed, so 15 minutes of noodling won’t make the grade
● Keep it musical. Fretboard madness and next-level sonics are great, but not at the price of musicality and genuine mastery of multiple techniques
● Demonstrate a full breadth of skills in as tight a playing package as possible
● Don’t make our judges wade through multiple entries when one will do
● Want to enter all three categories? Go for it! You’ll just need to follow this submission process for each individual category
A few Guitarist of the Year rules:
● All entries must be via videos uploaded to YouTube with a link emailed to email@example.com. No other points of contact will be considered
● Young Guitarist of the Year entrants must be under the age of 16 on 29 September 2018
● Entries must be received by 23.59 (BST) on 02 July 2018
● Don’t call us – we’ll call entrants if we like what we see
● Guitarists need to be okay with Future sharing videos to its wider online audience, appearing on the pages of its guitar magazines and playing live on stage at the UK Guitar Show in London on 29 September
● As ever, the judge’s decision is final
Guitarist of the Year is set to be the biggest guitar talent search of 2018 and the competition is now officially open for entries. Get involved by spreading the word through your websites and social channels, using the official hashtag #guitaristoftheyear