There are over 14 million people with disabilities in the UK, equating to 1 in 5 of every potential customer. £267 million is lost every month by inaccessible high street shops. We know that MI retailers want to promote music as something for everyone, so we have designed Disability Awareness Training to help you to create a welcoming and accessible retail environment for disabled customers.
This training usually costs £150 per person, but as part of your membership, we can provide you with a discount code for up to 6 members of your staff. This will make the training completely free of charge.
About the training
The training consists of on-demand videos and quizzes, as well as live training sessions. Its aim is to support musical instrument retailers across the UK to improve their awareness, product knowledge and confidence in responding positively to the diverse needs of customers with disabilities, both in-store and online.
A preparatory on-demand digital module is available to start now, with practical live workshops from disability expert Gideon Feldman (Attitude is Everything) being hosted throughout October.
What will I learn?
Module 1: Introductory Session (Online Course)
- Disability and the UK today – understanding the state of access in the UK today.
- The Equality Act – looking at disability discrimination as defined by the Equality Act, and what constitutes a reasonable adjustment.
- Social Model of Disability – what is the social model and why does it matter?
Total running time 1 hour. Recommended viewing for staff at all levels.
Module 2: Creating a welcoming and accessible retail environment for disabled customers (Live Session)
- Language and Terminology – best practice for communicating with disabled customers and how the language of disability has developed over time.
- Identifying Barriers to Access – Considering the customer journey and potential barriers to access that a D/deaf or disabled customer might experience.
- Case Studies – real access-related scenarios and how best to address them.
How do I get involved?
If you would like to sign up for this training, please contact Alice.
Alice will send you a link to an online platform where you will find the introductory sessions. MIA Members will be given a code which allows you to access it all for free. You and your team will be able to watch the videos and complete the quizzes at your own pace.
Alice will also book you into a live training session date. There are plenty of time and date options throughout October, kicking off on Friday 15th October. You will join a zoom call where you and your team will receive bespoke, practical training to help you understand and deal with the customer journey that a disabled visitor might experience.
Please note: these courses are completely free for members of the MIA, and members will also be given priority. However, non-members are welcome to get in touch to find out more.