Blackstar Amplification are seeking a Junior Product Developer, based in Northampton.
Blackstar Amplification’s R&D team are recruiting for an exciting new position, the perfect role for a Music Technology/Sound Engineering graduate who is passionate about guitars, with a great ear for sound and is experienced in critical listening. The successful candidate’s primary role will be to support the development of guitar amplifiers and associated products from initial idea conception, through all prototype production stages, testing and then ultimately signing off for mass production.
The duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Work within the R&D and product team to develop, prototype and assist the team to create new products
- Work closely with the product team, drawing on critical listening skills to support the sound design of Blackstar products
- Write detailed functional specifications on new product proposals with the customer in mind
- Use rapid prototyping and VST technologies to support Blackstar’s sound engineering during product development and ongoing technical research
- Support design decisions regarding speakers, cabinets, and other acoustic elements
- Devise, control and carry out pre-release test procedures for hardware and software products
- Support of technical research and problem-solving
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- Qualified to A level, BTEC or above in an audio discipline
- Experienced guitar player with a passion for the music industry
- A structured engineering approach to any task with strong attention to detail
- A good ‘ear’ – the ability to analyse sound and determine what is desirable
- User-level, and hands on experience of audio technology equipment (amplifiers, recording equipment)
- Experience using computer-based recording software/plugins
- Independent and self-reliant, being able to work without close supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to build professional relationships with people at all levels
- Ability to manage working time effectively and prioritise assignments appropriately
- Enthusiastic, methodical, committed and dependable
Desirable skills, however not essential
- Soldering and general hardware maintenance experience
- Knowledge of audio recording techniques and equipment
- Knowledge of the Musical Instrument product sector
- Working within a KPI (Key Performance Indicator) structure
- Willingness to travel to trade shows and other business development events if required
- Knowledge on the fundamentals of acoustics
Launched in 2007, Blackstar is globally recognised and respected as an innovator and leader in guitar amplification design. We are a company of musicians who are truly passionate about what we do and understand the importance of great tone. Blackstar is based in Northampton, with over 80 years’ combined experience in guitar amplification design and production. Our team pioneers change in the industry and has a strong commitment to driving transformational innovation within all of our products. Blackstar products are the best in the world for design, technology and performance – we create the ultimate tolls for self-expression.
Blackstar is a unique environment; we are all musicians/music lovers and the dress code is relaxed.
Our teams are experts in their field and we are incredibly passionate about our products and the industry as a whole. Most of our staff have worked in the industry for a long time and we are looking for candidates who wish to grow with the company and share in our current and future success.
Office hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday, with a willingness to work extra hours as and when required to achieve project deliverables to schedule. Flexible approach to working hours/environment where possible, according to business needs.
If you share our passion, approach your work with pride, are driven by innovation, want to be the best and help to grow our global brand to its highest potential we would love to hear from you. Please apply with an up-to-date CV. We are looking to hold interviews ASAP, for which an initial telephone conversation would be the first step.