Blackstar Amplification’s R&D team are recruiting a Mechanical Product Design Engineer, with a creative flair, to join our team. This is an exciting role for someone with a product design background, understanding of ergonomics design, a passion for all things music tech and guitars, that wants to help own the full product & mechanical design of new products.
The successful engineer will primarily be designing detailed ergonomically friendly products, taking market and HCD (human centered design) research, and transforming them in to detailed 3D mechanical models, researching new ideas and methods, researching new materials and tools, brainstorming new product designs, prototyping & mock-up creations, full mechanical and sonic testing and documentation. You will have the opportunity to work closely with the new products, marketing, sales, and cross team to design, develop and deliver new products.
The duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Create 3D & 2D models and drawings of products using CAD
- Produce Keyshot renderings of concepts
- Find creative design solutions to problems
- Improve existing products and processes
- Designing ergonomically friendly products, taking market and HCD (human centered design) research, and transforming them in to detailed 3D mechanical models.
- Mechanical specification and design of new products
- Create and release engineering drawings, written procedures and Bill of Materials.
- Create necessary drawings and coordinate with OEMs to get engineering samples and sub parts manufactured and delivered, on budget and on-time
- Researching new materials, tool and methods and how they are best used
- Performing tests on prototypes before they are designed for permanent and public use
- Full mechanical development of products from concept to production
- Produce 3D drawings using the CAD packages, 2D drawings using the AutoCAD package and all mechanical manufacturing documentation.
- Design tools for moulded parts.
- Document management for mechanical drawings
- Update the project management team daily and provide written reports as and when required
- Overall responsibility to enhance company packaging design
- Mechanical approval of all components
- Occasional overseas travel (not essential)
- Keep abreast of new materials and processes that could help drive out cost and improve quality
- Lead projects when required
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum HNC in mechanical engineering, or have completed an engineering apprenticeship.
- Minimum of 2 years’ commercial experience of mechanical design in a fast-moving manufacturing environment.
- Guitar player is essential
- Free thinker with the ability to think ‘outside the box’ to create innovate products for the brand.
- Proficiency in CAD design software, both 2D & 3D
- Good knowledge and experience of 3D design package and AutoCAD 2D design packages.
- Understanding and experience of document control and engineering change note systems.
- Used to working accurately to tight deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Experience of providing and clearly communicating costed solutions for problems as well as identifying them.
- Highly organised and good time management skills.
- Working within a KPI (Key Performance Indicator) structure.
- Has a strong team and work ethic.
- Personable and outgoing nature with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Enthusiastic, conscientious, committed and dependable.
- A ‘can-do’, positive attitude with a structured engineering approach.
- Team player is a must.
- Ability to manage time effectively and prioritise assignments appropriately.
Additional sought skills (however not essential)
- Passion for the music industry
- Experience of mechanical design in a consumer audio or electronics environment.
- Experience of working with overseas contract manufacturers.
- Project management skills
Launched in 2007, Blackstar is globally recognised and respected as an innovator and leader in guitar amplification design. We are a company of musicians who are truly passionate about what we do and understand the importance of great tone. Blackstar is based in Northampton, with over 80 years’ combined experience in guitar amplification design and production. Our team pioneers change in the industry and has a strong commitment to driving transformational innovation within all of our products. Blackstar products are the best in the world for design, technology and performance – we create the ultimate tolls for self-expression.
Blackstar is a unique environment; we are all musicians/music lovers and the dress code is relaxed.
Our teams are experts in their field and we are incredibly passionate about our products and the industry as a whole. Most of our staff have worked in the industry for a long time and we are looking for candidates who wish to grow with the company and share in our current and future success.
Office hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday, with a willingness to work extra hours as and when required to achieve project deliverables to schedule. Flexible approach to working hours/environment where possible, according to business needs.
If you share our passion, approach your work with pride, are driven by innovation, want to be the best and help to grow our global brand to its highest potential we would love to hear from you. Please apply with an up-to-date CV for an immediate response. We are looking to hold interviews ASAP, for which an initial telephone conversation would be the first step.