COVID-19 information to support the Industry
Last updated on Friday 12th June 2020
Here are some of the key resources created by the MIA and our trusted partners.
For all MI businesses:
- Birketts legal advice for our industry
- 10 tips for successful remote working for you, your team and your business
- Supporting furloughed staff
- Reverb provides 5 tips for maximising sales online
- Sales & Marketing in the time of COVID-19
- Business Insurance Q&A from MIA Partner, Cover Notes
- Government Bounce Back Loans – clarity for our industry
- An industry update from around Europe
- A message from the UK Music Industry to the Government
- Remote working – planning for the future
- Important update – Self Employed and Partnership Income Support Scheme
- COVID-19 Considerations – Returning to work
For retailers – advice for re-opening your music shop
We have held 2 live, panel discussion events which focused on the practical and logistical planning for re-opening your music shop. You can watch the first one (11th May) here, and the most recent one (5th June) here
- Getting the shop ready for re-opening – the video
- Getting ready to re-open our shops – a useful checklist
- HR Guidance for re-opening music shops
- An excellent guide to re-opening your music shop
- Post-lockdown Retail experiences from around the world
Shop signs: Here is a link to some useful shop signs that Amro Music in the US have created. There are some general information signs for both customers and staff, plus look out for the “fun and informative” ones that they have printed for people to read in the queues! COVID-19 Signs for Retail
Musical Instrument Hygiene
As well as the general hygiene of the store, retailers face the extra responsibility of ensuring that the instruments on sale are clean and safe for consumers. We have created a series of videos from manufacturers and distributors which show retailers how to clean the products that they provide. This well help support the shop staff and ensure the safety of customers.
- Stephen Wick of Denis Wick Products Ltd. showing you how to clean mouthpieces – click here
- Jonty Hines of Warwick Music Group on cleaning and caring for your pInstruments – click here
- Nick Fraser, Technical Manager for PRS Guitars on sanitising guitars – click here
Thanks to William Ring of Howarth of London for translating the following useful articles:
Here is the link to view all the Webinars, Q&A sessions and interviews recorded by the MIA and our trusted partners: www.mia.org.uk/webinars
The Department for International Trade (DIT) has launched a COVID-19 Webinar series to help UK SMEs. Experts will provide guidance and practical advice to help support your business and respond to the challenges and potential disruption caused by COVID-19. There will also be an opportunity for Q&As where you can put your questions directly to our experts. You can find all of DIT’s upcoming webinars here.
The MIA’s Business Support Helpline partner, Croner, are offering free webinars for MIA members that are hosted by some of the most knowledgeable professionals in their respective fields. The themes for June’s Webinars include re-opening the workplace, flexible working requests, managing performance and employees’ annual leave rights. Find out more here: www.mia.org.uk/free-webinars-hosted-by-experts-for-mia-members
The MIA’s Podcast platform Behind the Beat is the place to be to discover more about into the issues affecting the Musical Instrument sector. We have published a COVID-19 series –Click here to listen. You can also download Behind the Beat on Spotify, Apple Podcasts and Stitcher and listen when it suits you!
Government information- Working safely during coronavirus (COVID-19)
The UK government, in consultation with industry, has produced ‘COVID-19 secure’ guidance to help ensure workplaces are as safe as possible. The new guidance covers 8 workplace settings which are allowed to be open, from outdoor environments and construction sites to factories and takeaways.
The 8 guides cover a range of different types of work. Many businesses operate more than one type of workplace, such as an office, factory and fleet of vehicles. You may need to use more than one of these guides as you think through what you need to do to keep employees safe.
Here are the ones most relevant to our industry:
- Factories, plants and warehouses – Guidance for people who work in or run factories, plants and warehouses
- Offices and contact centres – Guidance for people who work in or run offices, contact centres and similar indoor environments
- Shops and branches – Guidance for people who work in or run shops, branches, stores or similar environments.
- Vehicles – Guidance for people who work in or from vehicles, including couriers, mobile workers, lorry drivers, on-site transit and work vehicles, field forces and similar.
All the latest government information can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus/business-support
*Our friends at the ISM have also published some coronavirus advice for music professionals, which includes financial advice, advice for performers and advice for teachers. They have also published some coronavirus advice for business owners: www.ism.org/advice/business-owners-financial-advice-covid-19